This week has consisted of some of the hardest goodbyes I’ve ever had to give.
I think because it’s not just a goodbye, it’s more of a “they are growing up.”
Anyone who knows me knows that I love high school students more than just about anything. Where did this love and passion come from? easy answer. Seven girls I met about 4 years ago. These girls rotated as some fell away, and some answered the call to this longing they had, for something more- that something more being Jesus. I led a bible study every Monday night for the past four years for these girls that are 4 years younger than me. This is what made me feel most alive….
- Seeing Gracie ride her bike to Starbucks miles away just to come learn about Jesus and then leaving bible study learning more about the Lord than coming in because of Gracie’s wisdom.
- Lauren and her child-like spirit bursting through the doors jumping up and down so excited to tell all of us the new things she discovered the past week.
- Bailey meeting up with me an hour early to tell me how God met her in her breaking, and skyping for a year once a week while she lived in Africa with her family.
- Allison, a girl who I knew from a distance at Starbucks, but then asked if she could join our small group. She desires the real Jesus and asks questions that are raw and real.
- Dakota, in her fun long skirt, sharing stories of meeting homeless people, she loves more than anyone I’ve ever met.
- Eryn, the one who teared up after I bought her her first bible because it was that precious to her.
- And Ashley, my sweet Ashley, who no matter how long it had been since I’d seen her.. we would connect and maybe cry about something beautiful that happened or something sad.
These girls changed my life. Now I am walking into a new season, and so are they. They are starting their freshman year of college and I just graduated college.
What I realized the past four years is that high school ministry isn’t just leading students to Jesus, it’s walking through the tears, joys, and adventures with them. Through this wonderful group of girls, God did a lot in me. Finally, I am now at a place in my life where I can invest all of my time into high school students. The high schools just started and students are eager to learn. I cannot start ministry until I am fully supported. For those who haven’t read my story, you can read it (my first post) it explains my job with Cru (Campus Crusade for Christ.) Please pray that God will provide supporters. Please consider praying to be apart of my team to fulfill the dream that God gave me: For every high school student to have the opportunity to know God and experience His beauty and joy. If God leads you to give simply give online at https://give.cru.org/0859340. If you have any questions please feel free to call: 770-778-1954 or email me at email@example.com.
The purpose of this post is to thank these girls and also to share with my friends and family where this passion for ministry came from. My crazy wild beautiful small group girls, God used you to reveal His plan for me. I learned how to love from you girls, I learned how to pray, and I learned how to fight. After seeing these young girls eyes light up after hearing the truth of the bible, I can’t go back to how I once was. It’s too good to give up. So now, I trust that God will fulfill the dreams He has given me. I choose risk, I choose to be vulnerable. Even if that means I put my whole heart into someone and them walk away. It’s worth it because that is the pursuit of Christ. This is what He did for us and what He will continue to do for us.
To my high school girls:
“Your heart cries, “Listen to me-there is something missing in all this. You long to be in a love affair, an adventure. You were made for something more. You know it.”
Pictured: Gracie, Lauren, Bailey, Allison, Dakota, Eryn, And Ashley